Many people believe that hearing loss only affects the older population – not true! Decreased hearing is a widespread problem across all age groups. In today’s age of excessively loud music at concerts, dances, and headphones, more and more young people are experiencing hearing loss. Also, construction workers, DJs, emergency vehicle drivers and factory workers are just a few examples of professionals who are at risk of hearing loss from over exposure to noisy work environments.
Hearing loss can also be a result of genetic, medical, or trauma to the ear. What does all this mean? It means, if you are suffering from decreased hearing, you are not alone. Today, one in six people have some degree of hearing loss.
Here are some other facts about Hearing:
– More than 700 million people around the world have a hearing loss.
– Only 35% of all people with hearing loss are over the age of 64.
– Only 5-10% of all cases of hearing loss in adults can be treated medically or surgically.
– Worldwide 8.5 % of all people between the age of 20 and 30 suffer from hearing loss.
– Many people with hearing loss wait up to 10 years before they do something about it.
If you or someone you know has a concern about their hearing, contact your Audiologist at Aldershot Audiology for a free comprehensive hearing examination. Your hearing is important to us, and we’re here to help.
Just call 905-635-HEAR (4327), or visit our contact page